- registered as a UBC Sailing Club member for the 2022-2023 season
- able to swim
Note: If this class is full, you are welcome to join our waitlist on this Signal app group.
This introduction to kayaking is meant for first timers or inexperienced paddlers. No previous experience is required! The lessons consist of dry land instruction prior to the on-water component and will teach you how to kayak safely, have lots of fun on the water and gain a better understanding of kayaking as a sport.
- Introduction to the club facilities
- Boat design and boat outfitting
- Safety equipment, gear selection and clothing
- Equipment care and maintenance
- Transporting the kayak
- Entering and exiting your kayak from beach/docks
- Rudder usage
- Forward and reverse paddling
- Forward and reverse sweep strokes
- Draw stroke
Rescue and safety skills
- Low brace
- Wet exit (yes you will be getting wet)
- Assisted rescue
- Self rescue
Paddlers will gain experience in both single and double kayaks depending on group size. This pretty much covers the basic paddling of paddle Canada "Basic Kayak" even if no proper certification is delivered.
If you are unsure if this is the right class for you, feel free to contact our head instructor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What should you wear? Please look at this page.